1614 Northwest 47th Street, Lawton, OK 73505 - (580) 355-6033
Grades Taught: Pre-K through Fifth grade
Ridgecrest Elementary was established in 1960 as Herbert Hoover Elementary. During the 2000-2001 school year a neighboring school, Kuntz Elementary, was closed, and its students became part of Hoover. At that time, the student population rose to just over 300 students in 2004, plans were made to close a second neighboring school, Westwood Renaissance Academy and add its students as well. To accommodate the larger number of students, construction was begun to renovate the older part of the Hoover building and add new classrooms, a gymnasium, media center, and office complex. The renovations and additions were completed in 2006. In the fall of that year, the school was renamed Ridgecrest Elementary and grew to a student population of over 400.
Currently there are 24 Pre-K through Fifth Grade classrooms and a total of 66 staff members. Students have the opportunity to participate in P.E., Music, Art, and Creative Writing. They also have access to a Library Media Center that houses 15,500 books, has eight computer search stations, and includes small group instruction with a Library Media Specialist. The two Computer Labs have about 30 computers each with access to learning software and web-based educational and research programs.
Our students are supported by an active PTA. The PTA has provided thousands of dollars to build classroom libraries, has sought grants to support school projects, and as provided on-going support for staff and students through numerous projects. Ridgecrest Elementary is also actively supported by area businesses, churches and individuals who provide support in a variety of ways, including purchasing newspapers for classrooms and funding special projects for students, like our Student of the Month program. Our partnership with the Dental Activity Unit (DENTAC) at Ft. Sill provides military personnel for special projects, academic achievement, and mentoring for our students.